Home » Blog » 10 Things We Bet You Didn’t Know About the Flu
10 Things We Bet You Didn’t Know About the Flu
With flu season just around the corner, test your knowledge on what you did and didn’t know about the flu.
1. The word flu comes from the Italian word influenza which means influence
Our favorite Italian words are pizza and pasta, but this is pretty cool!
2. The flu can be spread by breathing
That’s right, a new study done by the University of Maryland suggests that by just breathing on another person, you could be infecting them with the flu. Eww.
3. Though you might not feel sick, you could still be contagious
The CDC says, “Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick.” Even worse, kids can pass the virus for over a week.
4. Influenza is one of the leading causes of death in the United States
According to Statista, the flu accounts for 15.2 deaths per 100,000 people, though the flu is an entirely treatable disease.
5. Flu viruses can live up to 48 hours on hard surfaces
You may be charged an administration fee, but this can be waived if you are unable to pay it.
10. Sound Family Medicine can administer flu shots at any of its locations, even walk-in clinics
You can call or walk-in and receive your flu shot mornings, evenings and weekends.
Sound Family Medicine strives to provide the best healthcare for our patients and so we highly recommend getting your flu shot this fall. Visit our locations page to find days and hours. We hope to see you very soon!