The first Saturday in October is one that is outlined in pink on our calendar each year. We grab our tennis shoes and a friend and join a sea of pink to walk for loved ones affected by breast cancer. The Come Walk with Me 5k, hosted by the Good Samaritan Foundation, continues to bring our community together to raise funds for breast health programs that stay 100% local.
Sound Family Medicine continues to be a proud sponsor of the event. We know that many of our patients and staff depend on these resources and we want to help ensure that they remain available for years to come.
“Sound Family Medicine continues a meaningful relationship with MultiCare in east Pierce county. Their partnership for healing and a healthy future through Come Walk With Me helps all women in the greater Puyallup, Sumner, Bonney Lake, Graham, Eatonville regions have access to services and diagnosis early.” – Monica Hurley, Executive Director for the Good Samaritan Foundation.
Every dollar raised goes right back to programs that many of our patients utilize locally such as:
- Establishing a free/reduced fee mammography program
- Resource kits for newly diagnosed patients
- Post-surgical camisoles with built-in drainage provided to patients at no cost
- Wigs for patients in treatment
- Prosthesis programs for under-insured
- Lymphedema classes and support groups
- Exercise and nutrition classes specifically for breast cancer patients
As we continue into Breast Cancer Awareness month, there are still many other opportunities to join the fight against this horrible disease:
- Perform regular self-exams. Here’s how.
- Encourage a friend to get her annual exam and mammogram.
- Give a gift to support a local woman or man who is facing breast cancer. Donate online at comewalkwithme5k.org.
We hope you’ll join us in going pink this month to honor, celebrate and fight for those with breast cancer.