The Fourth of July conjures up many images: hot dogs on the grill, friends and family dressed in red, white and blue, the neighborhood kids laughing and playing, and of course the annual fireworks display. But did you know, in 2015 alone, there were 11,900 people admitted into the emergency room with firework related injuries? Before you go out and light the fuse to start your holiday, here are our tips on how to stay safe this summer.
- Keep a hose or bucket of water on hand at all times.
- If a firework doesn’t go off immediately, wait. If, after 20 minutes it still doesn’t spark, dose it in a bucket of water.
- Back up to a safe distance after lighting a firework.
- Never place a part of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
- Supervise children around fireworks. Sparklers are super fun, but they burn at a temperature 15 times over the boiling point of water.
- Designate one adult as the firework ‘lighter’ in order to maintain order and keep everyone safe.
- Only light fireworks outside and away from buildings.
- Only light one firework at a time, and only light on the ground.
- Alcohol and fire are not a good mix. Please refrain from drinking while lighting fireworks.
- Contain all pets – neither dogs nor cats like fireworks. Make sure they’re wearing identification in the case they escape.
- In the case of injury, seek help immediately.
Our Sound Family will be out enjoying the festivities on July 4th which means our clinics will be closed. In the event of an emergency, please contact the emergency room or an urgent care. Please remember that all accidents and injuries from fireworks are preventable, so with care and intent, you are guaranteed a safe and happy holiday. We wish you the best and hope you light up the night!